Monday, May 8, 2017

John Tamargo Autographed Card

With the prevalence of beards nowadays, most of my friends now look like this:
That's John Tamargo, Gary Carter's first backup catcher with the Montréal Expos, on card #519 from Topps' 1981 Topps set, which he signed in thin blue sharpie. I got it in the mail this winter, but because I had sent it a few years ago and kept the dates on my old computer (R.I.P.), I don't have the sent date for this one. I did receive it in early December, though.

Tamargo didn't play in the Majors much, 135 games over 5 seasons, with his lone complete season with one team being that summer of 1980 with the Expos, which is still good enough to slot him as #11 in my Expos Numbers Project.

After his playing career, he slid into management, as did his son, John Tamargo Jr., who now coaches in the Toronto Blue Jays organization; John Sr. is now the Latin America Field Coordinator for the Seattle Mariners. They did coach against one another in Single-A ball in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment