Friday, September 30, 2016

Another 2016-17 Upper Deck MVP Hockey Box Break

Remember when I got myself a 24-pack blaster box of Upper Deck's 2016-17 MVP hockey cards three days ago? Well, oops, I did it again:
I wanted to know how lucky I could get by comparing what I considered to be a below-average level of "pulls" to what came next, which may have been even worse. Starting with 42 repeats (on 120 total cards, that's over one in three) from the first box, not including cards that are in sub-sets as well as the regular one (i.e. "Silver Scripts" or "Puzzle Cards"), which probably brings the count up to 50%.

Considering I didn't even buy them at the same store... I was hugely disappointed with the card selection, which went like this:

Eight "High Numbers" cards, including the same two retired Hall Of Famers - Bobby Hull and Al MacInnis - but also doubles of Filip Forsberg, Alex Ovechkin, and Henrik Zetterberg, as well as Patrice Bergeron, Jordan Eberle and Roberto Luongo:
Once again, there were three Rookie Cards, including duplicates of Hudson Fasching and Steven Santini, but also one of Michael Matheson:
Plus the Silver Script Rookie card of Oskar Sundqvist:
And a Gold Script Rookie card of Tom Kuhnhackl, numbered 131/135:
There were six "Puzzle Cards", and 19 of players on Canadian teams, including three from my hometown Montréal Canadiens, David Desharnais, Andrei Markov and Alex Galchenyuk:
My Leading Lights insert was of Kyle Turris:
And I landed two NHL Territory cards, featuring Bo Horvat and Adam Henrique:
Once again, the scans don't render these foil cards justice. They really are beautiful to the naked eye, particularly the Turris one.

I would probably have been satisfied pulling these cards one pack at a time, over the course of a few weeks; however, in two separate boxes purchased just days apart in opposite ends of the city, it feels like a bit of a letdown in terms of "hits".

My grade on the look remains, however, with a 8/10.
Selection gets a 6/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment