Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Box Break: 2013-14 Upper Deck Series 1

I touched upon purchasing two blaster boxes a couple of days ago when I reviewed my 2013-14 O-Pee-Chee box. Now it's time for the second one, Upper Deck's 2013-14 Series 1:
At roughly $25 for 64 cards, you want to get at least one good insert - I'm talking about about an autograph or jersey card; I got neither. Ebay could have easily netted me 3 of each for the same price... but I never learn.

Here is how it broke down:

Total cards: 64, plus an oversized Young Guns rookie card of Boone Jenner:
Young Guns: these two, probably the pulls of the box (Nathan MacKinnon's one of the bigger rookie names and should get me a quarter of my box money back, but I particularly like Alex Killorn, who grew up in Montréal and shares my birthday):
 UD Canvas: Frans Nielsen:
MVP: Ray Bourque (retired) and Mikael Granlund (Rookie):
Montréal Canadiens (my home team): 2: captain Brian Gionta (as usual) and David Desharnais:
All in all, it's a fine-looking set, with ample room for the in-action picture, the look and feel is classic Upper Deck - very glossy, roomy, and the back is also typical UD:
I'll see what the MacKinnon, Granlund and Jenner cards will net me and how many of the rest I can get autographed on my own, but one thing's for sure, I am more positive about my box break after writing this post than I was upon unwrapping it.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment