Saturday, December 28, 2013

Box Break: 2013-14 O-Pee-Chee

Before I went to Ohio to visit my mom for Christmas, I went to my local drugstore for medical supplies for my trip, and two kinds of hockey cards were being sold at the cash register. Here is the first one, a blaster box of Upper Deck's 2013-14 O-Pee-Chee cards:
The bottom/back of the blaster box had this two-card ''sheet'', which is available for trade as is or cut without the box contours:
It also gives a decent idea of the regular set cards' design, which is reminiscent of the O-Pee-Chee sets of my youth, mixed with awful colour combinations.

 Here is how it broke down:

Total cards: 60

Stickers cards: Miikka Kiprusoff, plus this one of Paul Coffey:
Marquee Rookies: 5: Radko Gudas, Michal Jordan, Jon Rheault, Greg Pateryn, plus this one of Eric Selleck:
Rainbow Foil: Dwight King:
Retro Parallel: 4: Grant Clitsome, Ladislav Smid, Jack Skille, and this one of of Justin Peters:
Leaders: shutouts:
This useless, ugly checklist:
Retired players: 3 (including the Coffey sticker, 4 if you include Adrian Aucoin who retired after being unable to find a team for the season): Brett Hull (with the Dallas Stars, of all teams), and this one of Bryan Trottier):
Montréal Canadiens (my home team): 2: Brian Gionta and Tomas Plekanec, plus new-Hab George Parros in his Florida Panthers uniform.

All in all, despite the vomit-inducing colours and cardboard backs, I still like this set because the design reminds me of my childhood, and because it's the least-glossy set on the market, making it the most autograph-friendly, as does the fact that it contains 600 cards (100 rookies, 500 others).

I could do without the tons of cheap inserts and sub-sets (particularly the parallels), and would prefer the packs to be in the $1 range rather than $2-3, especially considering it's so cheap to manufacture, but it does what it should, in my opinion.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment