Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Gil Heredia Autographed Card

I fell on some signed baseball cards while unpacking, so I figured I'd keep up with the theme I started with the Wilfredo Cordero card and add Gil Heredia to the mix.

Heredia was a fine middle relief pitcher for the mid-1990s, most notably on the Montréal Expos. As for the rest of the team, his 1994 season was particularly great, with a 3.46 ERA and a 6-3 record, 62 strikeouts and only 13 walks in 39 games.

When he joined the Oakland Athletics (A's) in 1998, they made him a starter, a role in which he was also quite efficient, going 13-8 (with 117 Ks and 34 walks) in 1999 and 15-11 (with a 4.12 ERA, 101 Ks and 66 walks) in 2000.

As a matter of fact, he led the American League in 1999 for walks per nine innings and finished second for strikeout/walk ratio. Honestly, I didn't think he had that kind of domination in him.

He signed this card for me in blue sharpie prior to a game in 1995:


It's from Fleer's Fleer '95 set (card #353), picturing him in the Expos' grey (away) uniform. The card has a pseudo-foil effect, but it's more like pre-photoshop extra colours than actual foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment